Friday, December 5, 2008

ASP Quote Significance Ch. 13

Quote: "I never killed anybody and I never developed an intense level of hatred for the enemy. Because my war ended before I ever put on a uniform; I was on active duty all my time at school; I killed my enemy there."(204)

Significance: I don't believe that Gene was ever really Finny's best friend because he seriously just called him his enemy when Finny never did anything bad to him. He is pretty much saying that because Finny is gone now his war ended meaning his troubles and worries went away because he died, before he put on the uniform to go to the actual war. He is always that he never hated any enemy in the actual war and never wantedto kill them, but that he killed the enemy he wanted to and hated at school. What Gene is saying is so messed up. What happened to Finny is a part of me and that he is my best friend?! Like i don't understand did he really hate Finny that much to hurt him and then be happy he is gone? I just think Gene is a backstabbing liar and a VERY VERY VERY bad friend. BUT this was a great book. :)

Question: Was Gene ever truly Finny's "best friend"?

No comments: