Monday, November 17, 2008

A Separate Peace Quote Significance for Chs 2&3

Chapter 2:
Quote: "He had gotten away with everything. I felt a sudden stab of disappointment. That was because I just wanted to see some more excitement; that must have been it."(28)
Significance: This quote is significant because we already know Gene is jealous of Finny, but is that why there friendship starts to suffer? I believe that this quote is foreshadowing that Gene's jealous will one day be expressed to Phineas and there will be a down fall of the great friendship they have because of it. Gene is getting very frustrated with that fact that Phineas gets away with everything and he wishes that Phineas will one day get introuble.
Question: Why does Gene let Phineas push him around?

Chapter 3:
Quote: "I should have told him then that he was my bestfriend also, and rounded off what he had said. I started to; I nearly did. But something held me back. Perhaps I was stopped by that level of feeling, deeper than thought, which contains the truth."(48)
Significance: This quote is significant because I think Gene is starting to realize there is more to how he feels about his "bestfriend" Finny. He wants to tell himself that Finny is his bestfriend, but is that really the truth? I think that in the future Gene will tell Phineas how he really feels about how he treats him and Phineas isn't going to like what is said.
Question: Why is Gene afraid to stand up to Phineas if they're "bestfriends"?

No comments: